Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Easy Dried Apple and acorn Crafts
Do you remember the last time you were in someone's home that had an apple pie
baking in the oven? Ahhh, the aromas of a fresh baked pie -- it is simply
Well, now you can recreate this delicious scent in your own home, or in the
homes of your loved ones, by making dried cinnamon scented apple crafts. None of
them are hard to make and results are wonderful! Hang one of these on your wall
and you will surely impress all of your
For each apple craft, you will need
* Juice of approximately 8-10 lemons
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 8 - 10 large firm apples
* 8 teaspoons cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons allspice
* 1 teaspoon cloves
* 8" - 10" sturdy, heavy gauge wire (for a wreath)
* Jute (for garland or apple stacker)
* 1 - 1 1/2 yards of ribbon or fabric scraps
To prepare and dry your apples
* Place lemon juice in a large bowl, and stir in salt.
* Peel, core, and slice apples horizontally into 1/4" thick circles. Soak
slices in lemon juice bowl for approximately 6-10 minutes, making sure each side
of the slices has a chance to absorb some of the lemon juice.
* Meanwhile, mix spices in a bowl and blend well.
* Remove the slices from the bowl and place them on paper towels. Pat tops of
apple slices with paper towels.
* Dust apples slices with spice mixture. Turn slices over and repeat on
* Place apples slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 150-200
degrees F for 6 hours or until completely dried. Apple slices should be slightly
To Create An Apple Wreath
1) Fold each apple slice in half, and then into quarters and thread the apples
slices onto the wire. Continue to pack on the folded apples until the wire is
2) When the wire is completely covered, use pliers to bend ends into hooks so
that they can connect and close. Carefully shape wire into desired shape. I
recommend either a circle or heart shape.
3) Using your ribbon or fabric scraps, create a hanger for your wreath. 4) Hang
on your wall, or package as a gift for someone special.
To Create An Apple Garland
1) Cut of enough jute for your desired length of garland - remember, your apple
garland shouldn't be too long, but approximately 2-4 works well. Also, it is
always better to have too much, than not enough.
2) Start stringing on apple slices. Push one end of jute through the middle of
each apple slice.
3) Consider alternating several apple slices and then a piece of tied on fabric
4) Hang on your wall!
To Create An Apple Stacker
1) Using an approximate 12" piece of jute, tie one end to about three cinnamon
sticks that are laid in a a bundle.
2) Being to string on apple slices by pushing jute through the center of each
slice. Consider alternating several slices with a piece of fabric tied on.
3) When apple stacker is the desired length, end with three more cinnamon
sticks in a bundle and tie a loop so that you can hang your apple stacker
Source: The Crone Cottage
I was standing outside enjoying the day last fall, when I noticed little acorns
falling off the tree. I started collecting them in a shoe box thinking I could
use them for something and it turned out to be a very lovely but creative idea.
Of course, I suggest getting a wreath hanger because it is very heavy.
Parental supervision is recommended.
This project is rated AVERAGE to do.
What You Need
* Wicker wreath
* Hot glue gun
* Glue sticks
* Flowers or other decoration
How To Make It
1. First, spread the newspaper on a flat surface. Lay your wreath down flat.
Heat your glue gun.
2. Next, starting in the middle of the wreath begin gluing the bottom of the
acorn. Place the glued part of the acorn in the middle of the wreath and stand
the acorn straight up. Make 1 row in a straight line going all the way around
the wreath. Repeat the process from top to bottom with the wreath still laying
3. Then decorate with flowers, bows, or even holiday ornaments. Be sure not to
leave any open spaces except in the back. The back of the wreath shouldn't have
any acorns on it so when you lay it down it is flat.
Dried apple kitch witch
process the apple as above and then carve a face into the apple and dry until old and wrinkly. attach the head to a stick and create a witchy outfit to put on your doll. you can use material and stuffing to create a realistic doll or just leave the flowing dress and hang in your kitchen to keep all in working order and the pots from boiling over.