Saturday, October 27, 2012

Peppermint and Lavender Essential Oils



Peppermint and lavender are two oils I make sure I
never, never, never run out of. I keep several bottles of
both in my home and I carry both in my purse wherever I
go. At this moment, I am drinking a large glass of water
with peppermint oil in it. It is my favorite beverage. I drink
peppermint water every day.

I use empty NingXia Red bottles for making peppermint
water. You can add whatever oil you prefer. Lemon or
grapefruit are other oils I like occasionally. Always use
glass cups or bottles whenever you are using essential
oils in the water. Essential oils break down
petrochemicals in the plastic. You don't want to ingest
those toxins from the plastic. Always use GLASS.

Peppermint is very energizing. There are many ways to
use it for energy. You can inhale it, drink it in water, rub a
drop on your thumbs or big toes (brain points) or put a
drop on your tongue.

Try this little energizing technique: Put a drop on your
tongue, then touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of
your mouth, then suck air like you are sucking through a
straw. That is soooo energizing. I love it.

Another great thing about using peppermint oil for energy
is that there is no calories and no carbs in a drop of
peppermint. It is much healthier than the energy drinks
out there.

Peppermint is also great for mental clarity. I often sniff
peppermint when I am writing articles for this newsletter.
There have been studies on how people taking tests
have much higher test scores after sniffing peppermint.

Another favorite use for peppermint is headaches. Put it
on your temples and back of neck for a headache.

I keep a bottle of peppermint and a bottle of lavender on
my nightstand in case I need them in the night.
Peppermint for a headache or nausea and lavender for
insomnia or restless leg syndrome
. I arrange my oils on
the nightstand so I can find them in the dark without
waking my husband.

For restless leg syndrome, I put 4 or 5 drops on my
hands and rub the bottom of my feet. Then I cup my
hands over my nose and deeply inhale to help me get
back to sleep. This is also great for insomnia. If I have
insomnia, I also rub some lavender on my chest and put
a couple drops on my tongue.

Both peppermint and lavender are a must for summer
traveling. I use peppermint for motion sickness. Put a
drop or 2 on your tongue to relieve nausea. Lavender is
very calming and relaxing. It helps deal with the stress of
travel, especially on planes, which I don't love.

I often have trouble sleeping in hotel beds. It really helps
to make up a chamomile tea with 2 or 3 drops of
lavender oil in it. Most hotels offer chamomile tea with the
coffee in your room. Drink it before going to bed and you
should have a nice peaceful sleep.

Try putting a drop of peppermint on your finger and rub
the side of your nose to relieve a stuffed up nose.

Alan Hirsh, M.D., found that peppermint stimulated the
brain's satiety center and was useful in curbing appetite.

Peppermint feels wonderful on an exercise-stressed
muscles or joints.

Injuries
: Apply peppermint oil immediately to bumps and
bruises to relieve pain.

Cool off on a Hot Day: Drink a drop of Peppermint oil
mixed in a glass of cold water.

Poison Ivy or Poison Oak: Apply Peppermint oil on
location neat or dilute with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil.

Poison Ivy - Help with Itching
1 cup of cold water
¼ cup of cider vinegar
9 drops of Lavender essential oil
3 drops of Peppermint essential oil
2 drops of Roman Chamomile oil
Blend well. Place in plastic bowl with tight sealing lid.
This blend is great to keep cool in your refrigerator. Soak
a washcloth in this solution to gently apply to area of skin
with the poison ivy.

Itching: Apply a drop of peppermint oil topically on
unbroken skin to stop itching.

Insect Repellent: Add 10 drops of peppermint to a 4 oz.
bottle of distilled water. This is my favorite insect
repellent for working in the garden. It works wonders to
keep the biting Deer Flies off. I have had no bites while
using this simple formula. Be careful not to get any near
your eyes.

Take the peppermint water and spray where insects
enter your house.


Lavender is wonderful for burns and sunburn.

Burns and Sunburn - Apply 1-3 drops on burn location to
cool tissue and reduce inflammation. Apply 3-6 times
daily or as needed.
LavaDerm Cooling Mist from Young Living is another
option for sunburn. It has lavender and Aloe Vera.
LavaDerm Cooling Mist #3249

After-Sun Healing Spray
½ cup distilled water
¼ cup aloe vera gel
8 drops of Lavender essential oil
2 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil
2 drops Geranium essential oil

Blend together and pour into a 12-16 ounce fine mist
spray bottle. Spray skin if you have been over exposed to
the sun. This is very healing and soothing to sunburned
skin. Do not get any in eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment